Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Getting Graphic with Girls" & NYCC recap



At NYCC last weekend I was lucky enough to be on a panel with Cecil Castellucci (The Plain Janes), Colleen AF Venable (Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye), and Lucy Knisley (French Milk)!

Heidi MacDonald from The Beat was supposed to be our moderator, but due to a family emergency she had to bail at the last minute. Hence we were UNMODERATED! Which quickly became our new catchphrase.  (Special thanks to Colleen for handling the tech!) This actually worked out great.   Since we directed the discussion ourselves, it was like the audience was overhearing us having more of an informal conversation.  I didn't get any photos of us speaking, but believe me we had a great audience! Especially since it was the end of the show.

We covered topics such as how girls are portrayed in comics, how girls approach comics differently, our comic con experiences, our gateway into comics, mentors, our career paths & education expereicnes, what characters inspire us who we'd like to see get more attention (Like STATURE!), how DC & Marvel need to hire more female writers...

...and of course we discussed the notorious Catwoman cover!


What an insane pose, right?! Of course we had to try and replicate it.


Oh, and I should post some pics from the show! I'm proud to say that I was able to avoid entering the main floor the ENTIRE weekend.

I spent all my time in Artist Alley, which was moved to the North Pavilion this year. Being separate from the rest of the show, it felt like a smaller comic con within the bigger con. Which suited me just fine!
Here's me at my table! (Thanks for the pic, Bryan Wilson)

It was a great show for me! Sold lots of books, sent art off to some good homes, made new connections.... sold some new merch, some writer-fan-doodle composition notebooks:

I also heard some great stories from folks who were inspired by Page by Paige,  to get a sketchbook and start drawing again. Or they're planning a public project like what the Agents of Whimsy do in the book. How amazing is that?! To me this is the highest form of praise the book could get.  

And I've gotta say, my fans are super cute!

That includes the grown-ups, too!

Thank you everyone who came by, and my table-neighbors James Mascia & Michael Dolce for keeping things lively all weekend!

I'll leave you with this pic. I'm a sucker for Labyrinth costumes...

Currently Listening:  Billy Joel, lots of it.

1 comment: