Monday, February 15, 2010

Playing with Shading...

I've spent the past few days making sample pages for Page by Paige before I ink/ shade/ letter my final drawings...you know, since I'll be doing this for the next 4 months. (Click on the image to see a bigger size)

First I needed to figure out how to shade Paige's reality versus Paige's imaginary world since they're in two different styles. First I played around with a contrast between digital shading and pencil, which I didn't like...

I liked using ink washes instead. More depth, dreamier...

NEXT I did a couple pages from the first chapter that blend both Paige's worlds to see how they two styles look together...


FINALLY I did a couple more pages that were focused on depicting just one of Paige's worlds...and refined the speech bubbles and played with text...



It's been quite a humbling learning process, but as I keep seeing vast improvements (especially since my initial samples a year ago) I can't help but feel encouraged.

I know I need to make the font (made from my handwriting) thicker and easier to read, and I need to improve my drawings of hands, so besides that your feedback and constructive criticism would be greatly greatly appreciated! Please drop me a line.


Currently Reading:
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

No comments:

Post a Comment