Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Will & Whit" Samples

I'm please to announce I'm now working full throttle on my second YA graphic novel with Abrams Books...Will & Whit! I finally just signed the contract so it's official! My goal is to be done by Christmas, and it's slated for release in May 2013.

The look of Will & Whit...
As I'm editing my script and developing thumbnails, I thought I'd start playing with the look. I want it to have a different look than Page by Paige, since my new character's subconscious is expressed through her shadows rather than her illustrations. I know I want the panels to be rounded, to bring in some dry-brush texture, and use fewer ink washes than Page by Paige. So here are a few variations I'm tinkering with! Process pics...
 
Sample 1
Border: Black outside the border, with dry brush edge.
Linework: All dry brush-pen. Thin outlined fox shadows.
Shading: Darker digital shading.


Sample 2
Border: White outside the border.
Linework: All clean brush-pen lines.
Shading: Digital shading using some drybrush texture. (subtle)


Sample 3
Border: Black outside the border.
Brushwork: Combo of clean brush-pen & dry brush-pen lines. 
Shading: Lighter/less digital shading. Darker wolves shadow.


If you have an opinion, I'd love love love to hear what you think! 
lauraleegulledge@gmail.com 

***
Friendly reminder...
I have an event at The Strand this Saturday 3-4:00!  
I'll be doing a reading and leading a little workshop making Mirror Self Portraits. Please come by!

No comments:

Post a Comment