Thursday, July 19, 2012

Recap from San Diego Comic Con

I am finally back at my desk here in Brooklyn, what a whirlwind! Here's my SDCC recap...
Let's see...on Kids Day (Sunday) I did a signing at the Abrams Table. Everyone was so supportive!
I gave out my Paige inspired easter eggs to folks, and dropped some in the bags of people walking by. It included some of my Mermaid Parade glitter from a few weeks ago.
 I was up for an Eisner Award, which I didn't win. But honestly, I didn't care because I felt so honored to be there in the first place! I was definitely battling a Wayne's World style "I'm not worthy" complex.
Abrams had our own table! My publicist Mary Ann was a fabulous partner in crime for the evening.
There were many amazing presenters, but the geek in me was especially excited to see Battlestar Galactica actors Tricia Helfer and Michael Trucco!  (I've actually hosted a couple BSG themed events in the past...)
I finally got to meet some folks who I really admire, such as new Eisner winner for Best Artist/ Writer Craig Thompson! I mentioned his book latest book Habibi a few months back.
 And amazing female-empowering comic historian/ artist/ writer Trina Robbins!
And I crossed paths with some NY comic friends, such as Smile writer/artist Raina Telgemeier.
And fellow Jugs & Capes member Colleen AF Venable, who was also nominated for an Eisner Award! (For Best Publication for Kids) Here we're holding "Izzy," my fake Eisner award/ swiped coconut centerpiece.
 And I was excited to see my former studiomate Reilly Brown who had a table in Artist Alley.
And I must give a shout out to Adrienne Lombardo and the New York Jedis. Jedi photo bomb!
What about the convention itself? Well, I went to some great panels, a Tr!ckster workshop,gaped at many fabulous costumes, and had some zany adventures. I've posted ALL my pics on Flickr.

 My constant traveling companion Mr Duck came along, and he made many new friends.
To see all of Mr Duck's pics, click here!

It was a professional goal of mine to make it out to SDCC, so I am very thankful I was able to make it happen. I'm so lucky that I get to be a part of this community! Thank you everyone for your continued support, especially now that I'm delving back into "hermit mode" here in my studio. After seeing so many inspiring artists there, I am determined to make Will & Whit as amazing as possible!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kKrRCKFUTiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Currently Reading: Imagine by Jonah Lehrer

No comments:

Post a Comment