Monday, September 26, 2011

Bushcraft: Shrinky Dinks!

Just like my comic alter ego, I love hanging out with my creative friends. And after having way too many conversations with people saying that "we should hang out and make stuff just for fun sometime," my friend Bishop and I decided to start a little monthly artsy gathering at his studio in Bushwick.
Hence the birth of...BUSHCRAFT!

For our kick-off adventure, we decided to make shrinky dinks. Because we're grown ups.
First we drew out/traced our images onto the shrinky dinks with markers and colored pencils...
Just to show you how small it gets, here's how big the shrinky dink was before...
...and how big it is after baking!
They curl up in the oven all crazy-like before flattening back out.
It's very suspenseful and exciting watching them in the oven. See? Just look at Alyson's face!
Here's most of the shrinky dinks we made as a group...And this is my favorite of the ones I made. I'm gonna make it into a necklace...
Oh, and we were also celebrating BIRTHDAYS! Kurt, Bishop, and myself all have birthdays this same week. Yay cupcakes!
Back at home...Rory wasn't sure about another ginger cat in the house, but he's adjusting!If you'd like to try this at home, I highly recommend it! You can buy refill packs online and it costs about $5 for a pack of 6 blank sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment