Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New Street Art: Wheat Pastes!

Two years ago I started doing street art under the street artist alias Karat, and just recently I decided to get back into it because in Paige in my book does wheat pastes! (You can see all new and old work in Karat's Flickr Gallery.)

These are all drawings of mine which I xeroxed and slapped up on walls using wheat paste. (Hence they're called wheat pastes.) If my fictional alter ego can do it, then so can I!

DESIGN 1
In "Page by Paige" my character hangs wheat pastes of dogwood trees around New York to make it feel more like her old home in Virginia. So I thought I would follow suit! This is the original drawing...

...and here is how it looks as a wheat paste!


I hung one in Charlottesville, Virginia...

Then the rest are in New York. SOHO, Manhattan...


These are in Willimsburg, Brooklyn...


Buchwick, Brooklyn...

And in Chelsea, Manhattan...

DESIGN 2
The next drawing made is a propaganda inspired poster, but different in tone because I'm encouraging people to be creative REVELATIONaries instead of REVOLUTIONaries. I'm actually selling prints of this image in my Etsy Store! ($15 for a 13x19 in. signed print on watercolor paper)

Here's how it looks as a wheat paste! It now hangs in Buchwick...

Williamsburg...

Chelsea...

The Meat Packing District...

And SOHO...

DESIGN 3
The next image was of a Fun Permission Slip, which is a drawing I turned into an etching a couple years ago. And I included it in the last chapter of "Page by Paige!"

I hung a lot of these because they're so small! There's one in Bushwick...

Williamsburg...

SOHO...


Chelsea...

The Meat Packing District...

And across my street in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn...

DESIGN 4:
And finally, my first wheat paste was here in my Brooklyn neighborhood (Clinton hill) of an altered vision chart. Now there is one in Bushwick...

And SOHO...

I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to my lovely assistants Kurt, Diana, Jim, Anton and Daniel! And next up I'll be sharing pics of the brass etchings I've slowly been hanging up, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment